Friday, July 10, 2009

Why blog?



So, my first post...starting a blog is something I have been thinking about for a long time. I love to read blogs! I religiously read about 25 blogs and occasionally read about 30 others. I am always looking for another good blog for inspiration. I started reading blogs in 2006 when I stumbled across one looking up some fabric terms, then I found some others through Free Spirit Fabrics (some of my most favorite fabric designers). I read all sorts of blogs...mommy blogs, several artist's blogs, interior design and fashion blogs, blogs about cupcakes and blogs about crafting, quilting and hairstyles! Most of my real-life friends and colleagues don't fall into the creative or artsy/crafty category and reading blogs helps me to feel connected to other creative people. I think that is the real reason for this blog. It is a way for me to record the creative work I do and also to provide help and inspiration for my students, but, ultimately I hope it will bring me connections with other creative people.

My favorite blogs are rich with imagery - I am a very visual person - I like for things to look good. In class, I often say "Is it aesthetically pleasing?" So this is going to be a challenge for me to make this blog look good. I don't generally enjoy spending time on the computer because I would rather be doing something else. Not a big picture taker either...although the blogs I enjoy most have the most pictures. I often think to myself "this person takes pictures of EVERYTHING!" But I'm so glad they do! So that is challenge number two. Challenge number three is the fact that I really don't like to write and don't consider myself a good writer.

The above image is the Ocoee River in East Tennessee. In 1996, the kayaking portion (maybe others?) of the Olympics took place there. In high school, I went down this river several times on a large whitewater raft. It is something I think my own kids would love to do. My mother and I made a brief stop there on our way back from a wedding she attended.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is off to an excellent start ~ I am really glad that you jumped in!

    xoBeau

    ReplyDelete